Let the Light Shine In
Reasons To Go For Vinyl Replacement Windows
If you are thinking of renovating your home, or just need to replace your windows to more energy efficient and newer ones, vinyl replacement windows may be the best option. Windows are not only vital for fresh air circulation, natural light, and ventilation, but also help regulate room temperature and improve a home’s aesthetic appeal. They type of windows you choose for your home (of office) can determine whether you will be comfortable or not. Discussed below are some of the benefits of going or vinyl window replacements for your house.
1. Energy efficiency: Vinyl windows are some of the most energy efficient windows there is on the market today. This is because they are multi-glazed hence very well insulated. These windows not only help keep heat in during winter and other cold nights but are also very effective in keeping your home cool during hot and humid days (summer). Most vinyl window manufacturers ensure they are triple glazed for optimal insulation, meaning little or no heat escapes through the panes. Vinyl windows, therefore, assist in ensuring your HVAC systems do not strain to keep your home warm or cool at all times, hence significant savings on heating and ventilation bills.
2. Easy to install: Vinyl replacement windows are relatively easy to install. All you need are precise window measurements for the existing window frame. As long as the dimensions are correct, you can then have the windows installed in no time. You however need to make sure the existing window frame is in a perfect condition, so as to ensure the window seals off any spaces when closed. One the factors that make vinyl windows easy to install is the fact that, you do not need a nailing flange to install.
3. Maintenance free: Many other window types require regular servicing and maintenance, or else, everything falls out of place. This is however not the case with vinyl replacement windows. The beauty of these windows is that they require virtually no maintenance at all. This is partly because they are scratch free and aren’t stained easily. In addition to this, no scraping or painting is required, as vinyl maintains its beauty and structure for a lifetime. All you need to do is clean the windows with a damp cloth, or soapy water to remove particles and dust that may have accumulated.
4. Can be customized: Most shoppers are awed at the wide range of colors and styles that they can get from vinyl windows. You can have these replacement windows designed in whatever design your windows have, and even choose the best theme (or color) for your windows. You never have to worry about the size of your windows, as vinyl accommodates it all. In addition to this, you can use it for siding windows and doors as well.
5. Affordability: Both short and long term costs of investing in vinyl windows are unbelievably lower than any other window replacements in the market. To begin with, vinyl window replacements are pocket-friendly making them affordable to almost every homeowner out there. The cost of installing the same is insignificant as these windows are very easy to install. Unlike other windows that attract maintenance and repair costs, vinyl windows are maintenance free. This means you get to save significant amounts of money in servicing and maintenance costs.
6. Lifetime guarantee: Based on the vinyl structure, vinyl windows are extremely durable and can withstand the coldest of temperatures, as well as any acidity or corrosive elements out there. You therefore never have to worry about damage caused by flooding or excess humidity, or corrosive elements (i.e. rusting), as the vinyl material is resistant to all these. With very little effort, you can maintain these window’s gleam and radiance for a lifetime and never even dream of getting fresh replacements for the same.
Whether you want your home to have a new look, need to make it more comfortable, energy efficient or improve its resale value, vinyl replacement windows are the way to go. You will not only benefit from the vast said and unsaid benefits that come with these, but will also get to save good money (and your home) with the same. All you need to do is find a certified supplier to supply the windows, and have a contractor install them for you.
What You Need To Know About Vinyl Window Replacement
Window replacement is one of the few things that people are turning to in an effort to ensure that their homes are energy efficient. In as far as energy efficient home heating and cooling systems go, tremendous technological advancements have been made. The main aim of improving heating and cooling technologies is to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, thereby reduce the green gasses emitted. There are also huge monetary saving to be made on utility bill with energy efficient appliances.
However, all these efforts will amount to nothing if our homes and their insulations do not perform at par with the efficient appliances to maximize on gains made. Therefore, to compliment on the gains made by installing energy efficient appliances, you should have the best insulation in the house, including window frame insulation.
This, essentially, is the main reason you should consider a vinyl window replacement.
About Vinyl Windows
Vinyl windows are made of polyvinyl chloride also known as PVC. As a structural material, PVC is very strong and very resistance to impacts. More importantly, it is a very good heat insulator, thus enabling better all-round insulation in your house.
That said, it is important to note that there usually is a variation in the PVC used by different companies. Instead of using PVC in its basic form, many PVC manufacturers are adding materials, thus altering its bond structure and also its properties. In doing so, the companies are able to optimize the windows’ performances to their required standards. For instance, titanium dioxide when used in making PVC makes the window frames more heat resistant.
Another way to alter the characteristics of vinyl and thereby alter its specific performance and longevity is the manner in which it is used to make the frames. There are different methods that can be employed to manufacture vinyl, all yielding different characteristics with different optimizations.
All these different elements create PVC materials with different U-Values (U-Value is the rate at which heat flows through the frames) which mean that there are vinyl windows that perform better than other. A question of how to choose the best window then arises.
Qualities To Look For While Choosing Your Vinyl Window Replacement
In general, vinyl windows outperform other types of windows. However, even within their niche, some windows perform better than others. To this end, you should take note of the guiding points of choosing the best windows for the proper insulation function.
#1. Low U-Value – You should look for vinyl windows with the least U-Value possible. This reduces the amount of heat exchange between ambient air and outside air, thus offering better insulation.
#2. Low Solar Heat Gain Coefficient – The Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) is the measure of how much solar heat passes through the frames. For proper insulation during the hot months, you should look for frames with the least SHGC possible. This will result in reduce cooling needs during the summer.
The Advantages Of Using Vinyl During Window Replacements
The popularity of vinyl windows is an indication of how good they are in performing their function – sealing the interior air inside. However, their performance goes beyond this which yields many advantages, such as:
Low Maintenance Requirements – once installed the window frames do not require regular maintenance as they retain their shape, structure and form over long periods of time. They do not need repainting every so often as is the case with other window frame options.
Rigid Installation – They provide rigidity of the entire window system making them very easy to use over a long period.
Superior Seal – Vinyl Windows are known for their superior seals that separate the interior and exterior air completely, leading to huge energy saving and the associated benefits.
Non-Corroding And Non-Rotting Frames – Wooden and metallic frames are known to rust/corrode or rot respectively. This damages the longevity of the windows. This is not the case with vinyl windows. The material is better placed to withstand both these phenomena, thus lasting longer than any of the other options available in the market.
In conclusion, the option of the vinyl windows in replacing windows is a good option and value for money spent. However, you should ensure that you take note of the intricate details of the window as well as ensure the window is perfectly installed for it to perform its function optimally.
Six Things To Remember When Getting Window Replacement Estimates
If you are thinking about having vinyl windows installed in your home or business, it is important for you to get estimates. This will ensure that you are paying a fair price for the work that is being done. Here are a few things to keep in mind when you are on the hunt for window replacement estimates.
1. Make Sure That You Get Enough Estimates
When you are seeking estimates, it is a good idea to get at least 4-5 so you have a good basis for comparison. The more the merrier since choosing a couple will give you very limited options. You should immediately dismiss any estimates that seem unreasonably high. It would also be wise to eliminate those that are so cheap that you will have to question the quality of the materials and/or service they intend to provide.
2. Be Open About Competition
One thing you should do when seeking window replacement estimates is let the contractors know that you are considering many others. There are some contractors who are more than willing to lower their prices a little if they have the feeling that you may go someplace else to get services rendered. In some cases you may be asked to show proof of a lower quote, so make sure that you have this available in case you need it.
3. Get All Estimates In Writing
The last thing you want is to receive a quote that seems perfect, then you are given the bait-and-switch. Window replacement estimates are only set in stone if there is proof. Not only should the estimate provide the amount you will be charged, but there should be a rundown of how long the job will take, what services are being rendered and what materials are being used during the process. If there is anyone that balks at the idea of having things in writing, you should certainly pass them by.
4. Always Check References
While getting reasonable estimates is great, you need to make sure that the quality of work you are going to get is reflective of the price. For this reason, it is important for you to check references. Always verify that the person you are speaking with has had vinyl windows installed since other materials require a different level of workmanship. If you are told any questionable information, you should certainly consider crossing the contractor in question off your list.
5. Be Wary Of Limited Time Offers
Sometimes when you are given estimates, the contractor places a clock on the amount of time you have to accept the offer before the price rises. This is a common tactic used to pressure people into making a speedy decision. Hiring a contractor is a huge undertaking and it is important that you are thorough when trying to find the best one for your needs. Do not force yourself to act quickly, even if it means that you will end up paying more for services than you would like.
6. Always Verify License And Insurance Information
Having someone work on your home that has no license is not a wise choice. Being unlicensed shows that an individual is careless and does not care about presenting themselves as a strong businessperson. All license information you are offered should be verified so you know that it has not expired. This may seem like an unnecessary step, but you want to make sure you are selecting a viable candidate.
Even if you were offered a great estimate and everything else seems to check out, you should never hire a contractor that does not have insurance. Sometimes you are offered cheaper prices since there are issues with insurance coverage, but don’t allow this to tempt you. If there is a problem on your property, such as an injury, you will be the one held responsible if there is no insurance in place.
Having vinyl windows installed is a wise decision, but only if you hire the right person to do the work for you. Following all of the advice here will ensure that you hire the right person for the job and you will have no regrets.